Who We Are
Hunter Hill First Baptist Church was organized in 1937 under the leadership of Rev. O. S. Dotson, along with eight other members; Sister Della Dotson, Bro. B. W. Dotson, Sister Mae Rose Dotson, Brother V.W. Dotson, Rev. N. K. Kinsey, Sister Marian Parham, Sister Rubye Winfrey and Rev. I. T. Turner. Their meetings were held in members’ homes. The Sunday School was organized and the church began looking towards the development of a house for worship.
The church was given a plot of land and some building materials by contractor Craig Head. The members were successful in building a small church. December 25, 1938 marked the “Entrance and Dedication Day.” Rev. Dotson was called to the first pastorate. Under his leadership a Deacon Board was established, a minister ordained, and Choir #1 was organized. Rev. Dotson served for two years. The nine original members have passed away and members of their families still hold active membership within the church.
Rev. N. G. Green served as pastor for six months in 1941, followed by Rev. John T. Thomas who served for eighteen months adding two deacons to the Deacon Board.
In 1944, Rev. B. W. Paige accepted the call of pastor and ministered to the congregation for thirteen years. During his pastorate, several deacons were ordained, as well as the licensing and ordaining of several preachers. Various auxiliaries were also established. The church moved from its original location to 166 Edwards Street. In 1957 Rev. Paige resigned as Pastor.
Rev. F. L. Taylor was elected as pastor and served for sixteen months. Several auxiliaries were organized.
In 1959, Rev. Bowen was called to the pastorate. Under his leadership eight deacons were ordained. In October 1960, the church was destroyed by fire and services were held in the E. C. Clements Elementary School. After three years of service Rev. Brown resigned.
Rev. J. C. Ward who served as assistant to Rev. Bowen was called to the pastorate in 1963. In less than a year the church marched form E. C. Clements School to its newly constructed building at 166 Edwards Street. Under Rev. Ward’s leadership several auxiliaries were organized, three ministers ordained and two deacons added to the Deacon Board. In 1968 the church marched from the old sanctuary (which is now the education building) into its new edifice (which is now the J. C. Ward Fellowship Hall). Rev. Ward served faithfully until he was called home to rest in 1975.
In 1976, Rev. E. W. Lumpkin was called and provided five years of pastoral service, which included the burning of our church mortgage, ordaining two ministers, licensing another and six deacons were ordained. He resigned in 1981 to return to his home church.
In 1981, Rev. Aaron Jones was called as the ninth pastor and served eleven and one half years. Under his leadership, the present edifice was built in 1987 and numerous other programs and committees were instituted. Five ministers were licensed to preach, two deacons were ordained, and six deacons were added to the Board of Deacons.
From August of 1993 until our tenth pastor was called, the church was without a pastor and worked faithfully and prayerfully together under the leadership of Chairman John B. Dotson and the Board of Deacons. Through the Mount Calvary Association, four deacons were ordained and one minister was licensed to preach.
In August 1994, Rev. Gerard A. Ancrum accepted the call to the tenth pastorate of our great church. He enhanced many ministries and established others. Rev. Ancrum served for three and one half years before resigning in 1998.
On October 30, 1998, Rev. John K. Pinckney was called as the eleventh pastor of Hunter Hill First Baptist Church. During his tenure, he remained busy motivating, encouraging and inspiring unity and love within the church family. He established the John Kenneth Pinckney Gospel Choir, the completion of the new roof, church marquee board and new carpeting are among the major projects. On May 25, 2003, Rev. John K. Pinckney resigned after serving four years as pastor of the Hunter Hill First Baptist Church.
In June of 2004, Rev. Christopher A. Wimberly was called to the Pastorate of Hunter Hill First Baptist Church in Atlanta, GA.Rev. Wimberly is energetic and is constantly doing the will of God.He is focused, leading souls to Christ; he is a believer and is taking “The Church beyond the Walls.”He has provided a vision to evangelize, enlighten, embrace, equip, empower, and exalt the people of God. During Pastor Wimberly’s tenure he has licensed several ministers, established several ministries, added a Youth Minister, church receptionist and truly taken Hunter Hill from the east coast to the west coast through his preaching as well as at our State and National Conventions. Most, notably he led the church to retire our mortgage in a Mortgage Burning Ceremony during our 74th Church Anniversary.